Installing GAUSS for Mac
- Extract and run the GAUSS installer. To run the installer, open Finder and browse to the location where the GAUSS installer was downloaded. The downloaded file should be named GAUSS_16_MacOSX_64.zip.
- Double click on the zip file and you should see the GAUSS Mac installer file. Double click on this file to begin the installation.
- Follow the installer's instructions to complete the installation.
NOTE: GAUSS 16 must be installed in a location in which the user has read and write privileges.
Request your permanent license
During the installation process, a file called hostid.txt will be created in the GAUSS 16 folder. This can usually be found in the /Users/myName/gauss16 folder unless you specified a different location during installation. Note that on some versions of Mac, it can be hard to find your Mac home directory using "Finder." Pressing COMMAND+H should bring it up, however.
To request your GAUSS license, fill out this form. The final line of myhostid.txt contains the hostid of your computer which you will need for your license request. If you have already closed your text editor, you will find the myhostid.txt file in your GAUSS installation directory. You may either copy and paste the contents or attach the myhostid.txt file.
Floating Network License
Continue with these instructions.
Single User License
To run GAUSS, go the Applications folder and click on the GAUSS icon.
GAUSS comes with a temporary license that allows you to run GAUSS for a few days, so that you do not have to wait for your permanent license to begin using GAUSS.
Install your permanent license: Single User License
When you receive your permanent license, simply place it in the directory in which GAUSS 16 is installed. The default location is: /home/user/gauss16. To confirm that your license file is installed correctly:
- Start GAUSS
- From from the main application menu bar select: Help->About GAUSS.
The license type field will tell you if you are using a permanent or temporary license.
Installing GAUSS for Mac in a Shared/Multi-User Environment
For all users to run GAUSS in a shared, multi-user Mac environment, please do the following:
1. Copy the entire contents of your GAUSSHOME to a location in which all users can access, such as: /Users/shared/gauss16
2. Change the name of the 'gauss' executable to 'gaussapp'.
3. Make a bash script named 'gauss' in the same directory (which should be /Applications/GAUSS_15.app/Contents/MacOS). The contents would be:
4. Make sure everyone has execution permission for this file.
Problem: When I try to run GAUSS, I get a dialog window that says "License Manager Error".
Answer: This means that your temporary license has expired and GAUSS cannot locate your permanent license. Browse to your GAUSS installation directory (/Users/myName/gauss16 by default) and check to see if you have a license file in that directory other than the temporary license. GAUSS license files end with a .lic extension.
If you have received your permanent license and cannot find it in the GAUSS installation directory, copy it there now and restart GAUSS.