Run the installer
- Extract and run the GAUSS installer.
- To run the installer, open Finder and browse to the location where the GAUSS installer was downloaded. The downloaded file should be named GAUSS_18_MacOSX_64.zip.
- Double click on the zip file and you should see the GAUSS macOS installer file.
- Double click on the GAUSS macOS installer to begin the installation.
- Follow the installer's instructions to complete the installation.
GAUSS 18 must be installed in a location in which the user has read and write privileges. We recommend the default installation of /Users/myName/gauss18 for best results.
Request your permanent licenseDuring the installation process, a file called hostid.txt will be created in the GAUSS 18 folder. This file can usually be found in the /Users/myName/gauss18 folder unless you specified a different location during installation. Tip: On some versions of macOS, it can be hard to find your macOS home directory using "Finder." Pressing Command+H should bring it up, however. To request your GAUSS license, fill out this form. The final line of hostid.txt contains the hostid number of your computer which you will need for your license request. If you have already closed your text editor, you will find the hostid.txt file in your GAUSS installation directory. You may either copy and paste the contents or attach the hostid.txt file. If the hostid number is blank, click here.
Floating Network LicenseContinue with these instructions.
Single User License
- Install your permanent license When you receive your permanent license, simply place it in the directory where GAUSS 18 is installed. The default location is: /Users/myName/gauss18.
- Run GAUSS
To run GAUSS, go the Applications folder and click on the GAUSS icon.
- Verify Your License
To confirm that your license file is installed correctly:
- Start GAUSS
- From from the main application menu bar select: Help->About GAUSS.
Note: GAUSS comes with a temporary license that allows you to run GAUSS for a few days and not have to wait for your permanent license to begin using GAUSS. The license type field on the About GAUSS screen will tell you if you are running a Single User, Floating Network or Temporary license and it will provide you with a numeric License ID number.
Installing GAUSS for macOS in a Shared/Multi-User EnvironmentFor all users to run GAUSS in a shared, multi-user macOS environment, please do the following:
- Copy the entire contents of your GAUSSHOME to a location in which all users can access, such as: /Users/shared/gauss18
- Change the name of the 'gauss' executable to 'gaussapp'.
- Make a bash script named 'gauss' in the same directory (which should be /Applications/GAUSS_18.app/Contents/MacOS). The contents would be:
#!/bin/bash export GAUSSHOME18=/Users/Shared/gauss18 /Applications/GAUSS_18.app/Contents/MacOS/gaussapp
- Make sure everyone has execution permission for this file.